Social media posts are common sources of evidence in criminal and civil litigation and are routinely requested in discovery. Our team is able to effectively work with social media content from the leading social media networking sites, and our technology can crawl, capture and instantly search available content.
BIA’s Social Media Discovery
- Handled by licensed private investigators and digital forensics professionals
- Collects from multiple social media platforms*, including:
- Web pages and websites available via browser
- Preserves unique metadata
- Hashes evidence items to aid in authentication
- Can export data for use in litigation review platform
- Uses industry’s leading investigative tools that are compliant and validated, and entire process is compliant with Federal Rule of Evidence 902(14), with certification provided upon request
How It Works
Data is collected and indexed from social media streams, linked content and websites through APIs, webmail connectors and direct web navigation. BIA’s tools aggregate data from these sources in real time, in a highly scalable and case-centric manner.**
MD5 hash values of individual items are calculated upon capture and maintained through export. Automated logging and reports are generated. Key metadata unique to social media and web streams are captured through deep integration with APIs.
BIA is able to perform broad, unified searches across multiple accounts, social media streams and websites. Linked content is automatically indexed and searched, and the results are aggregated for sorting, tagging and export consistent with standard eDiscovery or investigative workflow.
BIA maintains the data in a searchable native format from collection through production, providing a complete platform to address social media in the same manner as devices, email and other electronic documents.
Unlike archiving and image capture techniques, we provide a case-centric workflow from search and collection through production in searchable native format, while preserving critical metadata not possible through image capture or printouts. We also have the ability to conduct proactive monitoring of social media accounts and websites to capture changes to posts such as edits and deletions.
For more information, contact us today.
* User’s private social media posts require that the account owner’s consent be provided to BIA, along with credentials to access and download the content. BIA can collect any publicly available content without the user’s consent.
**The ability to collect various data points is determined by the source platform’s APIs and may change without notice.